Thursday, August 2, 2012

Infused Water



In my quest to develop a healthier lifestyle I have discovered the wonders of Infused Water. My physician has insisted that I drink a MINIMUM of 64 ounces of water daily and before now it has been difficult for me to get it all down. Additionally, I have been forbidden from drinking any caffeine which rules out my beloved tea. My other favorite ‘Flavor Packets’ added to water have been discouraged as well so what is a girl to do?
Enter Infused Water.
Infused Water is made by adding any combination of fruit, vegetables and herbs to fresh water. The Water will take on the taste of what you add and more importantly, the water soluble vitamins and minerals will infuse the water with their goodness. The other appeal to me is that the vegetables will mask the metallic taste of tap water (which is perfectly fine to use if your water source is safe).  The most popular flavors used in infusions are vegetables such as celery and cucumber, herbs such as mint, basil, lemongrass, parsley and sage, Fruit such as strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches, watermelon, and citrus fruits including lemon, lime, grapefruit, and orange.  I have even been known to add dried flowers such as hibiscus. For each batch I like to use 1/2 cup of vegetables, 1 cup of fruit and ½ citrus juiced with rind added and a few sprigs of fresh herbs. You can make a big pitcher each night and drink the entire gallon the following day.
Infused water is much less expensive than buying juice and you get most of the vitamins with none of the dreaded sugar. If you must have a bit of sweetness I suggest adding ¼ coconut juice which has historically been used as an excellent item to support liver function.  Additionally, infused water will keep your body hydrated, make you feel fuller and flush toxins from your body aiding in weight loss.
I invite you to join me in enjoying the benefits of enjoying Infused Water.

No comments:

Post a Comment